This page should be read alongside https://www.ampworks.co.uk/guarantee/
Amps repaired by Keld Ampworks usually come with either a Tier 1 or a Tier 2 guarantee. Both guarantees represent a guarantee of a quality repair, but Tier 1 goes a little further. Your guarantee level is indicated on the invoice and/or repair report. This is offered at Keld Ampworks’ discretion.
Guarantee Tier may also be informally indicated by a sticker on the amp.
Tier 2 is the standard guarantee level. All work undertaken is guaranteed for the full guarantee period. Any faults caused by Keld Ampworks work are repaired under guarantee.
Example 1: I repair Bob’s amp and replace a capacitor C34 in the power supply. The amp is given a tier 2 guarantee. The capacitor C34 fails after 2 months of use. The failure is covered under guarantee.
Example 2: I repair Sarah’s amp and replace a speaker. The amp is given a tier 2 guarantee. The amp’s transformer fails. The failure is not covered under guarantee.
Tier 1 is a special level of guarantee which means Keld Ampworks guarantees the correct operation of the repaired unit for the full guarantee period (usually 6 months). This means that a fault occurring within the guarantee period unrelated to the repair will be repaired under guarantee. Tier 1 guarantees are offered at Keld Ampworks’ discretion.
Example: I repair Claude’s amp and replace an input socket. The amp is given a tier 1 guarantee. The capacitor C34 fails after 2 months of use. The failure is covered under guarantee.
Which jobs are covered under Tier 1 and Tier 2?
- Tier 1 guarantees are offered at Keld Ampworks’ discretion.
- Tier 1 jobs are usually amp repair jobs that have involved an in depth examination of multiple parts of the amplifier – power supply, preamp and power amp.
- Some amplifiers have common problems that I see regularly. I will recommend solutions and if the customer accepts my recommendations then the amplifier is more likely to end up with a Tier 1 guarantee.
- Usually complicated channel switching amplifiers with multiple inputs and outputs will be given a Tier 2 guarantee. (Eg. JCM2000, Tubemeisters).
- Tier 2 guarantees are usually given on amplifiers if the disassembly and reassembly represent a significant part of the repair (Eg. Mesa Boogie).
- Tier 2 guarantees are usually given on jobs in which a customer has accepted some work, but declined other suggestions.
- Tier 2 guarantees are usually given on amplifiers that have been worked on by another repairer, unless that repair has been re-done by Keld Ampworks.
- Tier 2 repairs are offered on amps with no available schematic/service information
- Tier 2 repairs are offered on amps with extensive PCB damage where a manufacturer replacement is not available. PCB retracking IS covered by the terms of Tier 2 guarantee as this counts as ‘work done’.